Last year I made a Peppermint Chocolate Chip shortbread cookie that was prim and proper and put together. This year I am making its sloppy unkempt sister cookie who can barely keep it together (it’s a crumbly cookie) but is the life of the party because it’s so damn tasty. It doesn’t look as pretty as a firmer shortbread. Some people might scoff of the use of Nutella, but looks can be deceiving. This is a melt-in-your-mouth kind of shortbread cookie that is so light and fluffy you’ll think its main ingredient is Elf farts. But it’s not. Its main ingredient is butter, and it is in no way good for you but it’s the Holidays so what the hell? Enjoy!
Whipped Nutella Peppermint Shortbread Cookies with White Chocolate Candy Cane Garnish (makes 24 cookies)
For the White Chocolate Candy Cane Garnish
¾ cup white melting chocolate
2 candy canes, crushed
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave and spread out evenly onto parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the crushed candy cane over the chocolate and allow the chocolate to set.
- Once set, break the chocolate up into pieces and set aside.
For the cookies
2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature and very soft
3 cups AP flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp peppermint extract
1 cup icing sugar
½ cup cornstarch
¾ cup nutella
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour one cup at a time and whip each time until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, peppermint, icing sugar and cornstarch and whip until light and fluffy.
- Gently fold in the nutella, don’t over mix.
- Spoon onto baking sheets and bake for 18-20 min.
- Remove from the oven and immediately place the white chocolate garnish on top of each cookie.
- Let the cookies fully cool before removing from the baking sheets. The cookies will be very soft and will only firm up once fully cool. If removed too soon they can crumble and break apart.
- Stuff yo face!