I did some Christmas baking in December and planned on posting it for you all before the Big Guy’s birthday on December 25. But then I got very preoccupied with holiday festivities like getting fat and dealing with heart burn and popping buttons off of my pants. So alas, here is my Christmas baking recipe, given to you after Christmas. Consider this a second Christmas.
To be honest this isn’t really a holiday recipe at all. The flavours can be used all year round because these are Matcha Cranberry Thumbprints! And the last time I checked people are drinking Matcha lattes all year long. And people are also getting bladder infections all year long as well so cranberries never go out of season, am I right?
What I am trying to say is give my holiday baking a try for after the holidays. This a cookies for all seasons really, don’t just limit it to Christmas time.
Cranberry Jam filling
** You can use store bought cranberry jam for the filling if you are lazy AF and don’t want to make your own**
½ cup cranberries
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup water
½ cup unsalted butter
- Combine the cranberries, sugar and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 min.
- Remove from heat once cranberries are soft enough to blend.
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Stir in the butter.
- Place in fridge to cool before using.
Matcha Cookies (makes 24 cookies)
1 cup unsalted butter
1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
2 egg yolks
3 tsp lemon juice
2 cups AP flour
3 tbsps matcha powder
- Preheat oven to 325 ° F and line cookie sheets with a Silpat or parchment paper.
- Combine the butter and sugar.
- Add egg yolks and lemon juice and mix until fully combined.
- Add the flour and matcha and mix until fully combined.
- Shape the dough into balls then roll it in granulated sugar.
- Press thumb or end of wooden spoon into the centre of each ball, making a fairly deep imprint. The dough make crack at the edges, this is normal.
- Fill the imprints with the cooled cranberry jam.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes.
- Cool fully before eating as the cranberry jam will be very hot.
- Stuff yo face!
Happy 2018 eating!!